- South African resident with a valid national identity document.
- Aged between 16-18 in the year they intend to enrol at a UWC
- Enrolled in Grade 11 or 12 in the year they apply for UWC
- Applicant is prepared to leave their current school halfway through Grade 11 or 12 if their application is successful.
- A strong academic performer and ranked among the top 10% of their grade.
- Applicant understands that if they are selected to attend a UWC for 2 years, they will not write the South African Matriculation Examination. Instead they will write the International Baccalaureate Examination and will acquire an internationally recognised diploma after the successful completion of the International Baccalaureate 2 year course.